I thought it would be helpful to create a resource page that you can always come to for all of your online business needs. I’ll add to it as I learn more, but you’ll notice that in the future I will reference this page quite often. I recommend bookmarking it for your reference and convenience. Enjoy!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that I have experience with all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Need to register a web address for your business? There are hundreds of services available, here’s a few I have used.
Here are some links to host your site.
- Blue Host: FREE Domain & access to my 20 wordpress tutorial videos with use of my affiliate link.
- MediaTemple: I started out using MT and liked it. However it is quite pricey for the features it provides hence i moved to BH .
- WhoGoHost: I haven’t used them but i’ve heard great things about the service.
I believe in setting the tone right for any venture and that means starting out with a very professional appearance. Therefore while there are many free options like Blogger and WordPress.com. The best options for what i do are listed below.
- WordPress: The #1 Blog Publishing Platform. Free and easily customizable with wonderful support. All of my blogs use WordPress.
- Theme Forest: The ultimate resource for premium looking WordPress themes.
- The Genesis Framework : This is the WordPress theme and framework that the eCommerceRunz Blog runs on. Genesis promises out-of-box search engine optimization, faster page load times, maximum readability to engage and hold reader’s attention, and point-and-click design and font controls.
- Shutterstock: Shutterstock is the leading free stock photography site. All you need to do is search by keyword, and related photos will appear. You’ll generally get 10-15 good images you can use, the system is very robust .
- Foto: You will find virtutally any type of photo you need here.The picture can end up costing quite a lot depending on the size/ quality but all in all very good. The cost per picture also varies based on the final resolution, so do have an idea of what purpose you have before you buy!
- Magento: The feature packed platform that has a hosted and non hosted option. It is complex to understand and use but highly customizable and flexible.
- Open Cart: Easier to use and quite cost effective. You can be up and running with minimal programming knowledge.
- Shopify: Nice hosted platform. Can be setup in minutes. Great for concept testing. Does not integrate with African mobile payments/bank accounts yet but you incorporate work arounds easily.
- BigCommerce: Similar to shopify. Easy to setup and run . But since its not native to Africa you need to set up some work arounds . All in all not a bad option.
- Woocommerce: A word press plugin for ecommerce. I hear it’s good but have yet to try it.
The mobile payments will probably require their own page as they are quite many and distinctly different in useability. Watch out for the tutorial videos for each one.
- Paga: They have a great mobile money payment system. Good customer service and fast response time with little to no down time on transactions.
- Mobile Monie
more to come…….